Monday, February 23, 2009

First day of classes!

23.2

Today was my first day of classes. I had my 2 environmental science classes and my math class. One girl from college is in my first environmental science class, and a guy from college is in my math class. I think I will really enjoy my environmental science classes. They are all about the Australian environment and the interactions between people and the environment from an Australian perspective. Australia is very interesting. The northern area is tropical (Queensland) and is experiencing severe flooding. The southern area (Victoria) is temperate and is experiencing a severe drought with dangerous bush fires.

The lecture halls are very large. There are probably a hundred plus people in my two environmental science classes, but only about 30-40 in my math class. I have not had archaeology yet. I do not have anything on Fridays! Yay! Although my schedule is quite busy the rest of the week.

Monday, I have class 9-12 which is not bad at all. Tuesday I have class 9-11, 12-2 (no lunch!), 5-6. Wednesday is 10-12, 1-3. Thursday is not very fun; 10-11, 12-3 (no lunch again!), 5-6.

Here are some things I have learned from my first day/first reading assignment. The dingo is not native to Australia. It was brought over about 3000 years ago. 93% of frogs and 89% of reptiles are unique to Australia (they do not exist anywhere else in the world). Australia is the 6th largest country in the world, and it is the only one to cover an entire continent.

I am playing (field) hockey, cricket, and tennis (maybe) for Ursies this term (first half of the semester). I have been told repeatedly that I will be coaching softball next term (last half of the semester). Unfortunately, volleyball is next semester. They cannot get even 6 girls to play, which makes me sad. There is no softball field! It is just a large grass field!! I wanted to cry when I found out. Oh well, it will still be fun.

I still have not taken any pictures of campus/Canberra, but I will. Eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment